Did you know that most donors check out your website before they make a gift – whether they are giving on line or through the mail?
A recent study found that potentially up to 50% of your donors are going to check you out online before they give, whether they give online or not.
Couple that with the fact that the last week of the year is THE BIGGEST week for online donations, and it’s time to give your website a little tune-up.
Your website’s purpose is to provide an online resource for donors and prospects about the work your nonprofit is doing. You might also use it to recruit volunteers, communicate with clients, and more, but be sure that its main purpose is education about your mission and your work.
1. Make it user-friendly. Your website needs to be clean and easy to navigate. People are very impatient online, and if your website looks too hard to wade through, people will go elsewhere. Make it very easy for people to find what they’re looking for.
2. Make it sticky. Include lots of juicy info that your donor will be interested in. Tell stories about the people you’re helping. Highlight a few ket statistics of your cause. Write short bits that your website visitor will be captivated by. If your website contains lots of long paragraphs about your organization, donors won’t stick around. They aren’t interested in your organization – they want to know about the people whose lives are being changed by your nonprofit.
3. Make your Donate Now button big and red and in the upper right corner of every page. People won’t work hard to make a gift, so make it very easy for them.
4. Use simple language and great photos. Dump the acronyms and industry jargon. Don’t talk about “at-risk populations” or “service recipients.” Your donors and website visitors won’t know what that means.
5. Tell stories. Tell short, human-interest stories about the people your organization serves. We want to read about the underdog overcoming adversity or tales that make us believe in the goodness of the world. Share how your nonprofit is helping to make them happen.
Get these things right and you’ll dramatically increase the online donations you’ll receive this year!